Friday, November 21, 2014

Blog Post 14

Teaching our children can be a profession By: Joel Klein

  • Pick from the best
  • Seniority distraction 
  • Radical Change

Pick from the best

I agree with this paragraph about teachers needing to have higher standards. That only the best should be able to be allowed to teach. He says that " for decades, we've let virtually anyone with a college education become a teacher". This is true but I think students that are in college trying to become teachers work hard to get that degree so what's the problem. Yes I agree that they should be more prepared with things that will enable them to be ready for what happens in the classroom but I disagree that just anyone can be a teacher. I think teachers can be interchangeable because there is always someone else that needs a job, but basing their performance off of seniority is not the way to judge a teacher(new or old). Yes I think that teachers that have been there longer should have first choice on some things but not when it comes to be fired for example. It should be sole based on their performance in the classroom.
Seniority Distraction

 I am not sure if i agree that this a problem or not. I think yes it is because lower income schools get just a ok education because they mostly have new teachers in their schools that haven't really got the years of experience yet so they just have to go where they can get in at.   Then on the other hand I do not think it is a problem because the teachers that work in more of a middle class school have the seniority to choose the school because they have been teaching for a while. They have worked hard to get where they are now an deserve to teach at a better school with the better pay. But then I think about the kids, they deserve a good education. Just because their parents can not afford to send them to a better school is not their fault. I do agree with his solution though. I think having the teachers take a test ever so often to make sure they are capable of teaching the kids to the standards as everyone else does. This would show that they are able to teach the kids just the same as a teacher from a middle class teacher would. 
Radical Change

I do not think that I agree with this one. I do not think that allowing the teachers to be the judge of another teachers fate would be there right thing to do. That should be up to the principal and the school system that they belong to. If you were to leave it up to the other teachers you could have not very good results when it came to voting, What if the only reason the teacher was voting against another teacher was because they did not like her/him. That would not be fair and would not be based on his/her performance.  I disagree with this an think that there are better ways. Yes the teachers could suggest rules that the teachers should follow but in the end they should not be the "police" for the other teachers.
Tenure teacher sleeping

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I respect your opinion on the matter. I, however, disagreed with almost everything he had to say. That picture is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    Great post, I do agree with some of the things you say.

    ReplyDelete